A wonderful presentation by Dan McKinley of Stripe on how technology companies make mistake in choosing the next piece of shiny technology instead of relying on their existing and tested stack. He outlines how this increases the overall cost and how this cripples the development team in many ways. I have to admit that for many years, I used to do this myself and would go for the next framework, the next data store, etc. I learned the lesson the hard way and thankfully since then I choose the fewer, the most known technology that serves the need.
The pecl_http extension has a little gem that can be handy at times – HttpRequestPool. Using this, you can send concurrent HTTP requests and can gain efficiency in fetching non-related data at once. For example, from an external source if your application needs to retrieve an user’s profile, their order history and current balance, you can send parallel requests to the API and get everything together.
Here is a simple example code to illustrate that:
Its amazing how Symfony2 has created an ecosystem where you can just add a bundle to your application and in minutes, you are able to make use of functionality/integration that would take you days to add if you had to code it up yourself. A while ago, I needed to add S3 CDN support to our Loosemonkies application so that the avatars uploaded by job seekers and company logos uploaded by employers would be stored in a globally accessible CDN. I started looking for a ready-to-use bundle that I can just add to the project, beef up a few config and everything else would just work. However, this time the task seemed a bit tough.
After much searching and evaluating, I stumbled upon this wonderful post. The author has shown here how to use Gaufrette and the Amazon AWS bundle together to achieve what I was looking for. It took me a while to follow the steps and finally I integrated it. Then I had a new requirement where I would need to upload assets that have already been sitting in the local, so I would add an additional method in the PhotoUploader class to handle it – uploadFromUrl. It would guess the mime type of the file by extension, as we do not have the mime type handed to us by PHP. It worked beautifully and we were all set.
Sharing the code here in case others find it useful.